Sep 26, 2009

Adriz, the Kurdish Asshole

"You wanted adventure", Roman said, as if it were my fault.

That's true I did; but I would have traded it for a good night's sleep.

The story of my night along the Turkish border begins and ends in the same benign way- with me preparing for a peaceful night sleeping under the stars, camping out behind a truck stop with the consent of the local landlords. It's the inbetween that makes the story worth telling; somewhere between 10:00 PM and 4:00 AM, I experienced one of the wierdest nights of my life, complements of a dickhead named Adriz.

I had literally just finished my last, oh-so ominously titled blog entry and fallen asleep in the tent, when both Roman and I were woken by loud voices and a flickering light just outside of the tent. We listened silently, hoping in vain that the voices and footsteps would eventually begin fading into the other direction; they didn't.

Suddenly a man- middle-aged, almost certainly Kurdish, and strangely wearing the first suit and tie that I'd seen since Adana- peeked his head into the unzipped entranceway and stared at us; just stared, as if his face were carved out of stone. By morning, I would learn that the straightface was just another part of his schtick as a sadistic deadpan comedian, but for now it mostly as a veil shrouding his true agenda.

Somewhat reassuringly, one of the men we had met earlier in the petrol stop out front- a quiet, decent young guy who had brought us bread and given me a discount on a Fanta- turned out to be the other voice we'd heard. Judging by that man's deferential tone, I assumed that the man staring me in the face was the owner of this establishment that we had decided to make our home for the night- meaning Roman and I were at his mercy.

For all I knew, our visitor could have meant us no harm and just been curious as to why two dudes were sleeping in a tent in his backyard. There was something menacing in his eyes and unsmiling expression though, and as he barked at us in a language that was either Turkish or Kurdish, but definitely not English, I was aware that Santa Clause stopping by to drop off presents this man clearly was not. Meanwhile, the words of our friends in Adana, about how the Kurds would just as soon stab you in the back as look at you, rang shrill in my ears.

Finally, after trying to talk to us in Turkish for what seemed like forever, he offered Roman a cigarette- a welcome, reassuring sign- and the younger man explained, in hideously broken English, that he wanted to buy us a beer. Primarily to alleviate the situation, I said okay.

With that both men walked away, ostensibly to go buy beer.

Meanwhile, Roman and I discussed our options. We ultimately decided that since the guys out front earlier had been so nice in inviting us to stay and offering us bread, it wasn't worth the effort to pack up our stuff and try to find a new place. Neither of us particularly loved this new guy, but he hadn't done anything negative to us, besides waking us up which isn't a criminal offense when someone is sleeping in your backyard, and now he was offering to buy us alcohol; maybe he was a nice guy whose bedside manner just needed work.

It also definitely didn't hurt that there was a Turkish oskari (military) checkpoint just half a kilometer away, which as far as I could tell, existed for one reason and one reason alone: to keep the Kurdish people, like our new drinking buddies, in their place.

After a few minutes, our friends returned, paper bag in hand, and pulled out two bottles of Efes, Turkey's finest (read: only) beer. They shoved them in our hands and then proceeded to stare at us awkwardly as we drank. I tried to start some rudimentary conversation and, despite the ginormous language barrier, I was able to discover that the middle-aged, suit-clad gentleman's name was Adriz and that the younger guy was his little brother.

Finally, Adriz dispenced with the awkward small talk and got down to business. Smiling sadistically, he turned to his brother/pawn, who would serve as translator most of the night, who relayed the message.

"He ask, do you want girls?"

Something in the dark grin that had suddenly manifested upon Adriz' face told me that I didn't.

"Mmmm... naaah. I'm good."

Apparently to change our mind, Adriz pulled out some reading material that would make Hugh Hefner's mom blush:



With a sudden glint in his typically cold eyes, he motioned to the newspaper and then in the direction of a nearby bordertown, Silopi. He didn't need to; his sly, dark grin said it all. There were girls in Silopi and he wanted to bring them to us.

It didn't take long to put it all together: Silopi, like every small hole of a city within 5 kilometers of the border, was undoubtedly a haven for drugs, sex, and other less-than-legal activities; our new friend Adriz, meanwhile, like every amoral jackass trying to kick and scrape and backstab and hustle his way up the ladder of life, was undoubtedly not above partaking in these activities if it meant some fresh green somehow making it's way into his pocket. It fit like a glove.

In other words, we were sleeping in the backyard of the local pimp. And trespassing.

We tried to explain our stance on this particular issue, but "for love, not money" didn't quite seem to translate; and if it did, it apparently translated into something along the lines of "show me some more pictures of half-naked girls in your newspaper and maybe I'll change my mind", because that's what Adriz continued to do for the next 30 minutes or so as we emphatically continued to voice our disinterest.

Finally he seemed to realize that he was getting nowhere with us, and suddenly and unexpectedly changed his tactics. He turned to his brother and began motioning between Roman and I, the whole time chortling in Turkish. I knew where this was going, even before his nervous brother voiced Adriz' thoughts.

"He say, you gays."

I thought about just agreeing with him and leaving it at that, in hopes that he would stop trying to dump prostitutes on me, but as I watched Adriz' eyes narrow into reptilian slits and heard his already barbaric yelping become louder and crueler, I figured that was probably not the way to go.

Finally, after another staredown, he turned to walk towards the lodgings of the station, and for a few seconds I thought we had won. Maybe he had just given up. When he stopped flat after a few feet, however, I suddenly realized that all he had been doing was positioning himself between us and the petrol station, the road, and, most importantly, the Turkish soldiers. I began to appreciate for the first time what an imposing physical presence this guy was.

He barked something at his meek translator, who quickly turned to us.

"He want money, for beer."

Of course, I should have known.

"How much?"

"150 lira. Each."

I gaped at them, in disbelief that they expected Roman and I to pay the equivalent of $100 each for our beers. Adriz stood; unblinking, dead serious, palm held out expectantly.

Finally, grasping for straws, and after explaining that I had nowhere near that much money, I muttered something about how I wanted to consult his friend out front, a man in a purple shirt who had been the one to originally tell us that we could sleep behind the truckstop. I took off before I could be told otherwise, and hoped that he wouldn't resort to force to prevent me from doing so. Thankfully, he didn't.

Finally, after a long, barely comprehensible conversation between us, Adriz and our new ally, purple shirt man, it was revealed that apparently Adriz had been joking the whole time. Not that I entirely bought this- it seemed more likely that purple shirt man had talked some sense into his friend, maybe reminded him that there were quite a few Kurd-hating oskari looming not so far from our present location- but when they offered to settle our debt for 7 lira per beer, I had no problem offering up the money.

To my surprise, he turned it down.

And thus a turning point in our relationship was marked. The next 45 minutes were like something straight out of a montage in the second act of a buddy-cop flick, where the formerly reluctant partners begin to warm up to each other and eventually become friends. I showed Adriz my passport; Adriz showed me his Turkish Department of Defense employee ID card (apparently pimpin' is just a sidegig). Meanwhile, I made liberal use of about the only 2 Turkish words I knew, Guzel (Good) and Arkedeš (Friend). At one point, I swear Adriz even cracked a smile. And that's when I dropped my guard... and let him hold my camera.

From that moment on, the trajectory of our relationship, as summarized in the following two photos taken by Adriz who was now refusing to give up my camera, plummeted faster than you could bat your eye.





Everything crested, after about 30 minutes of desperate, impassioned pleading on my part, and still more extensive use of the word Arkedeš, with Adriz threatening to smash the camera on the ground if I didn't hand over that 150 lira he'd been lusting after all night. Some bluffs are easy to call, like Iran threatening to nuke Israel off the face of the Earth, and Adriz and I both knew that there was no chance he was going to destroy that camera as long as he had a chance to profit off of it. On the other hand, I knew there was no way I was going to physically pry my camera out of his hands and no way he was going to give it up without being forced.

Finally, he decided I wasn't going to give him cash in exchange for the camera, and moved to plan B. He got in his car, prepared to drive away and settle for a slick new American camera as a consolation prize for his efforts. And that's when I pulled out the ace up my sleeve.

Before he could take off, I managed to motion him in the direction of the backyard, where our campsite was located. Curious, he followed me, only to discover something surpising: our tent, bags, and everything else had vanished into thin air. Suddenly he realized that Roman, who had asked to use the bathroom around the back of the station about half an hour ago, had vanished with it. He scanned his brain for an answer, and I gave it to him:

"Oscari."

Little did Adriz know that the last 30 minutes of conflict between he and I over the camera had been a distraction- a risky distraction that placed one of my prized possessions at risk, but a distraction all the same. As had been arranged, I would keep Adriz distracted just long enough for Roman to pack up all of our things and hike to the soldiers. I hadn't expected it to be so easy to keep Adriz from realizing that one of his two hostages had gone missing, but in the end his single-minded greed did that for me.

Needless to say, he eventually parted with the camera. And with one last exuberant, "Arkedeš!", I offered to take a picture of him; he grumpily shielded his face, probably a smart move on his part, considering who I planned on delivering that picture to.



At last, Roman and I met up, near the soldiers. In an unheard of example of mercy, Roman had elected to not actually speak to the soldiers; he argued that it was enough that Adriz and company thought we had done so- afterall we had escaped with all of our belongings intact and with a good story to boot. Instead, he suggested we camp out near the soldiers' camp, where we would be safe from Adriz if he decided to enact vengance. I didn't have the energy to argue- all I wanted was to find a place to sleep free of rapscallious Kurds- and so we walked to one side of the military compound, about 100 feet away from the barbed wire fence, and looked for a new place to set up camp.

Suddenly we heard shouting. A huge array of armed soldiers had gathered at the fence and was screaming at us in Turkish. We figured we should probably try to explain ourselves. Finally we found someone who spoke English and explained the whole situation. I wasn't as interested in mercy as Roman, so I told them all about the truckstop owners. They knew exactly who I meant.

20 minutes later, we'd befriended the soldiers of the camp,who were all too happy to have something to break the monotony of a life within a barbed wire fence. We were having a conversation with one English-speaking soldier in particular, when he called over one of the passing comrades, pointed to him, and told me something I did not expect:

"He thought you were a terrorist. He wanted to shoot you."

And as I stared at him in shock, the soldier in question did two things that were even more unexpected: he blushed, and then he giggled.

Now, normally I would be mad at this man who had wanted to kill me. But really, how could I be mad at a giggling Turkish oskari? It's cool.



And that's how Roman and I ended up camping behind the truckstop a second time- the soldiers' forced them to let us sleep there and leave us alone. Adriz, unfortunately, had escaped, and I almost felt sorry when purple shirt man, a relatively decent guy, was forced to take the brunt of the punishment from the soldiers for Adriz' sins. But not really.

Mostly I was just glad to have a place to sleep and looking forward to putting this ordeal in the past. Goodbye and good riddance, Adriz. You too, Turkish Kurdistan.


No comments:

Post a Comment